A fabulously illustrated, updated edition of the bestselling guide to giving Thoroughbreds a new start in life off the track.
Renowned for their amazing athleticism and unparalleled work ethic, and famed for their “great heart” and willingness to go the extra mile, off-track Thoroughbreds (OTTBs) have proven to be the ultimate equine partners in a host of disciplines:
- Show jumping
- Trail riding
- And even barrel racing and ranch work
In this revised edition of the book that Thoroughbred and horse training experts have called “breakthrough racehorse literature,” “superior,” “a winner,” and “the ultimate in training manuals,” readers learn everything they need to transition an OTTB from life at the track to life out back.
Author Anna Ford, Thoroughbred Program Director at New Vocations Racehorse Adoption, explains:
- The typical Thoroughbred’s early years.
- Reasons for retirement.
- Common injuries and health issues.
- Basic feeding and nutrition.
- Safe handling.
- Step-by-step instructions for building the solid educational foundation the OTTB needs to excel in a new career, whether as a highly trained competitor or a pleasure mount.
With hundreds of quality, full-color photographs to illustrate conscientious and professionally tested training methods, case studies that share how other individuals have successfully retrained ex-racehorses, and the recommendations of top equestrians, including:
- Event riders.
- Horse trainers.
- And leading figures in the industry.
Publisher: Trafalgar Square Books
Pub Date: 10/2018
Size: 10.20h x 8.40w x 1.00d